Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The Chairman,.Caretaker Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee of the APC and Yobe State Governor, Mai Mala Buni, has enjoined party stakeholders and members to conduct the All Progressives Congress (APC)’s ward Congresses peacefully. The call was contained in a statement signed Friday night by his director-general on media and publicity, Mamman Mohammed.
2. The Federal Government yesterday, said it is not aware of any $875 million ammunition deal with the US. speaking in an interview on Friday, the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, described the reports as “fake news”.
3. The All Progressives Congress (APC) has tackled former Vice-President, Atiku Abubakar who said Nigerians are yearning for the return of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). Reacting in a statement on Friday, John Akpanudoedehe, Secretary of the APC National Caretaker Committee, said Nigerians will not return to the PDP.
4. The Court of Appeal sitting in Calabar has sacked Mr Stephen Odey, Senator representing Cross River North. On Friday, the court which was presided by Justice Chioma Iheme Nwosu, upheld the decision of the Abuja High Court which declared Mr Agom as the validly nominated candidate of the PDP for the election.
5. Suspected armed bandits invaded the General Hospital, Dansadau in Maru local government area of Zamfara State, abducted a nurse and a caregiver. Chairman of the Nigerian Medical Association in Zamfara State, Dr Mannir Bature confirmed the attack.
6. The Nigerian Army says the troops of Operation Hadin Kai have taken custody of 91 Boko Haram/Islamic States West Africa Province terrorists and their families who surrendered recently in the North East. The Director, Army Public Relations, Brig.-Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu disclosed this in a statement on Friday in Abuja.
7. The Presidential Steering Committee on COVID-19 (PSC), has raised the alarm over an escalation of infections in the country. The Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and Chairman, PSC, Boss Mustapha, gave the warning on Friday night in Abuja.
8. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has recovered the sum of N5.4billion for the National Health Insurance Scheme, NHIS. The Executive Secretary of the Commission, Professor Muhammad Nasir Sambo, disclosed this during a visit to the headquarters of the EFCC in Jabi, Abuja.
9. The Katsina State Police Command has arrested Aisha Nura, 27, the alleged wife of a notorious gun runner with the sum of N2.4 million which she said belongs to her husband, Nura. The suspect was paraded before newsmen on Friday by the spokesman of the Katsina Police Command, SP Isah Gambo.
10. Ahead of the 2023 general elections, the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Mahmood Yakubu has emphasised on the use of electronic components as a sure way the Commission can deliver free and fair elections. He spoke while hosting the visiting Chairperson of the National Electoral Commission, Davidetta Browne Lansanah (NEC) of Liberia in Abuja.