A medical doctor, Dr Olakunle Omoteemi has said the best treatment for a bite from a poisonous snake is antivenom in a hospital.
Dr Omoteemi also said without the quick administration of antivenom on snakebite victims, symptoms typically progress to respiratory failure, which leads to cardiovascular collapse and death of the victim.
He added that this typically happens within 7 to 15 hours in the case of a very poisonous snake like a black mamba.
Advising that all snake bites be handled as an emergency, the physician added that in the event of a snake bite, an ambulance should be called in to convey the victim to the hospital as quickly as possible.
While waiting for medical aid, the medical doctor advised that the victim should be moved away from the striking distance of the snake.
He also advised that the bite be covered with a loose and clean bandage and for the victim to be kept still to prevent the venom from spreading throughout the body.
“However, there are some things that should not be done to a victim of snakebite. These are; the wound should not be cut open, the venom also should not be sucked out of the wound.
“A tourniquet, ice or water should not be put on the snake bite area, magic stone should not be applied on the wound and alcohol, beverages or any other medications should not be administered to a snake bite victim.
“The only medication that can work when such occurs is an antivenom administration in a government or certified private health facility.”
Omoteemi who warned that a bite from a poisonous snake is dangerous explained that on most occasions, it may be hard to know whether the snake that bit someone is poisonous or not, especially if the snake has not been found.
“Not all snakes are poisonous. But snakes like the black mamba, timber rattlesnake, and copperhead are extremely poisonous and can make someone collapse within 45 minutes.”
Recall that recently a Nigerian Airforce personnel, Lance Corporal Ogah Bercy died in Abuja as a result of complications from a snake bite.
According to reports, she was bitten by a snake in her toilet at the Airforce Base, Clinton Drive, Abuja.
She reportedly died because an antivenom was not administered to her on time.