Home » We are not aware of $875 million ammunition deal ‘blocked by US lawmakers’ – Nigerian govt

We are not aware of $875 million ammunition deal ‘blocked by US lawmakers’ – Nigerian govt

by warritatafo
168 views
||

The Federal Government has said it is not aware of any $875 million ammunition deal with the United States.

Reports had emerged that some US lawmakers blocked the deal.

The report listed the blocked proposed sale to include 12 AH-1 Cobra attack helicopters accompanied by defence systems, 28 helicopter engines produced by GE Aviation and 14 military-grade aircraft navigation systems made by Honeywell.

However, Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, described the report as ” fake news.”

Speaking with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday, he said there was no contract of such nature and sum between Nigeria and the US.

“There is no contract of arms between the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the United States of America today, apart from the 12 Super Tucano Attack Helicopters of which six had been delivered.

“We are quite satisfied with the progress and cooperation that we received from the government of the US on this issue.

“As a matter of fact, six of the Tucano helicopter will be launched on Aug. 3, this year.

“We are not aware of the so-called 875million USD arms contract or some helicopters which they said some lawmakers in the US are trying to persuade the president of the US not to honour.

”The relationship between Nigeria and the US is smooth and waxing stronger,’’ he said.

The reports in some sections of the media had claimed that influential U.S. lawmakers were masterminding a hold on a proposed sale of ammunition and attack helicopters to Nigeria over allegations of human rights abuses and anti-democratic actions of the present administration.

You may also like

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More